MANHATTAN – The Kansas Department of Agriculture, K-State Research and Extension and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment will host four regional workshops in February to assist farmers market vendors and managers.
“Selling food directly to consumers through farmers markets provides growers a chance to tell their farm’s story, but there are also legal, safety and financial parameters that farmers need to understand before choosing this marketing tool,” said Londa Nwadike, consumer food safety specialist with K-State Research and Extension and the University of Missouri.
Workshop topics will vary slightly by location. Topics include:
• Keynote speakers on successful farmers market vending;
• The Double Up Food Bucks SNAP matching program;
• Kansas Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program Certified Farmer Training;
• Cover cropping and other soil health strategies;
The KDA’s Division of Weights and Measures will also offer free scale certification at the workshops.
Dates and locations for the farmers market events are:
• Feb. 4: KSU Sedgwick County Extension Office, 7001 W. 21st N., Wichita
• Feb. 10: KSU Olathe, 22201 W. Innovation Drive, Olathe
• Feb. 11: Greenbush Education Service Center (Dave DeMoss Education Building), 947 W. 47 Highway, Girard
• Feb. 17: KSU Agriculture Research Center, 1232 240th Ave., Hays
Also, farmers-market vendors and managers are encouraged to attend the 2017 From the Land of Kansas and Farmers’ Market State Conference on March 16 and 17 at the Bluemont Hotel in Manhattan.
Registration for the February workshops is now open and is $20 per participant. Registration includes lunch; however, lunch will only be guaranteed to those who register at least 10 days before the respective workshop date. Registration forms can be found at FromtheLandofKansas.com/FMConference or at local extension offices.
Onsite registration will open at 8:30 a.m. and the workshops will begin at 9 a.m. and conclude by 4 p.m. The Wichita workshop will begin online registration at 8:15 a.m. and the workshop at 8:45 a.m.
Registration for the March 2017 From the Land of Kansas and Farmers’ Market State Conference is $75 for one day and $95 for both days. Registration is expected to be open in late January at FromtheLandofKansas.com/FMConference and will close on March 8.
For more details, contact Janelle Dobbins, KDA’s From the Land of Kansas marketing manager, at (785) 564-6759 or Janelle.Dobbins@ks.gov.